Natural Remedies For Gout
Gout happens to be an ancient health condition and was first recognized by Egyptians in the early 2640 BC. Despite this long history and age-old discovery of this disease, gout still remains a major health problem with an increasing number of people suffering from this painful condition. Gout is a type of arthritis that results in the inflammation of one joint that begins rather suddenly. Gout arthritis is causes by the accumulation of crystals when uric acid is in a joint.
Severe gout may affect many joints at once and that is called as polyarticular gout. Gout is the common form of inflammatory arthritis and affects musculoskeletal system and joints. It is more common in men, but women are likely to get it after menopause. Person suffers from severe pain, tenderness and redness in the joints and usually it is the base of the big toe. When gout affects the big toe, it is also referred to as podagra.
Causes And Symptoms Of Gout
Gout is basically caused by the increase of uric acid in the blood. Uric acid is produced in the human body through certain chemical compounds called purines. These are found in high amounts in some foods like poultry, meat and seafood.
Usually uric acid dissolves in the blood and is excreted from the body through the kidneys via the urine. If an excess of uric acid is being produced or not enough or it is being expelled, it can build up to form needle-like crystals that cause inflammation and pain in the joints and the surrounding tissues.
Listed below are the factors that cause gout:
- Genetics: If your family has a history of gout, it increases the possibility of you developing it, as well.
- Exposure to Lead: Some cases of gout have been linked to chronic exposure to lead.
- Gender & Age: Men tend to produce more uric acid than women. Women‘s level of uric acid reaches those of men after menopause.
- Weight: When you are overweight, it increases the risk of gout due to more turnover of body tissue. That means more production of uric acid as the metabolic waste product. When there is a lot of body fat, it also increases the levels of systematic inflammation due to production of pro-inflammatory cytokines by the fat cells.
- Medications: Certain medications also tend to increase the uric acid levels in the body, including some diuretic drugs that contain salicylate.
- Lifestyle: When there is alcohol consumption, it interferes with the uric acid removal from the body. Having a high-purine diet also raises the uric acid amount in the body.
- Health Problems: Kidney problems and renal insufficiency lessens the body’s ability to remove the waste products efficiently. This leads to an elevated uric acid levels. Other conditions that are associated with gout are diabetes, high blood pressure and hypothyroidism.
The nighttime attack of tenderness, swelling, redness and a sharp pain in big toe are the common symptoms. Gout attacks the foot, knees, ankles and other joints of the body. The attacks can last for a few days or linger for many weeks before the pain subsides. Another attack may not happen for months or years.
Natural Remedies For Gout
Listed below are some natural remedies for gout relief:
- Lemon Juice:
It is essential to alkalize the body and neutralize the excess uric acid present in the blood stream to get relief from gout pain. You can use fresh lemon juice and baking soda. Also eat other fruits enriched with Vitamin C that strengthens the body tissues. Mix one-half teaspoon baking soda in lemon juice and let it sit for few seconds until the fizzing ceases. Mix it in a glass of water and drink it right away.
Nettles is a strong anti-inflammatory phytonutrient that you can get in tea form. Nettles is anti-inflammatory food. You can drink it as tea or buy them as a supplement. Nettles work well in getting rid of gout.
- Celery Seed Extract:
Consume celery seed extract and celery juice for gout relief. Celery seed extract has shown to lessen the uric acid buildup in the body. It treats variety of conditions that are worsened by inflammation, joint pain, gout, kidney, liver infections, urinary tract infections, skin disorders and irritable bowel syndrome.
You could get celery seed extract or buy the supplement. You could use fresh celery to make juice or eat celery with your meals. These remedies are effective in getting rid of gout.
Cherries are very helpful in treating gout since they contain antioxidant properties. Cherries have anthocyanin that reduces gout build-up, gout flare-ups, along with inflammation in the body. Simply adding celery and black cherry juice to your diet will bring you fast results against gout.
It is highly recommended for gout patients to eat 15-20 cherries a day. Best way is to start the day with cherries. Drinking a glass of black cherry juice regularly every day is another great option. For taste, you could add few minced garlic cloves in it, as well, because garlic also has healing properties.
- Epsom Salt:
Another useful ingredient in treating gout and other forms of arthritis is Epsom salt. Epsom salt contains high amount of magnesium and improves your heart condition along with lowering blood pressure. Soak the affected body part of your body in warm water and mix Epsom salt in it. Epsom salt helps in relaxing your aching muscle and also in relieving pain. Add two cups of Epsom salt in warm bath water and have a leisurely bath. Keep your body soaked in it until the water starts to lose heat. Do this once a week. And if you have severe case of gout, you can try this Epsom salt bath 2-3 times a week.
- Fish Oil:
Fish oil is another natural remedy for gout. With time fish oil reduces the risk of gout since fish oil is enriched with omega-3 fatty acids that reduce the disease-causing inflammation in the body.
These natural remedies will give you complete relief from gout. Try them!
Make it natural, make it easy,